Tuesday, September 21, 2010

An InfraRed . B A L I . Affair

[Click on the above title to go into the post]
An InfraRed Bali Affair


through the IR lenses of Limwhow & SereneXMM


It has been an exhilarating period for both myself and SereneXMM.
Because we have had the great opportunity to meet up with lots of passionate shooters.
And also we have had the honour of travelling with these wonderful people.

We haven't too many IR shots of Bali.
Well, at least not as many as we'd love to have because it rained quite a bit while we were there.

ULUWATU


SereneXMM #01

I posted this little photo on the landscape section. But just to share with all my friends here.
 
SereneXMM #02
This one is a simple IR. I just did Channel Swap only.


KEDONGANAN


SereneXMM #03

I remember here we both limwhow and me we used very high ISO because it was so dark. I think dark scene IR also has its special.


My share of Uluwatu.

limwhow #01
Just anyhow shoot using the Fish eye.
Please forgive me for the lack in composition, for I am terribly afraid of heights.
And looking down from this cliff gives me the trembles...


Here are a few of my Kedonganan shots.
贻笑大方...

limwhow #02


limwhow #03
Not hot spot. But just played with a central area's red...


limwhow #04
The sweetcorn seller on the beach of Kedonganan.


GERTA GOSA

SereneXMM #04
Outside Gerta Gosa, all of us just lean low to shoot at the Central Hindu Gods Statue and then the horse cart came along.


SereneXMM #05
We entered Gerta Gosa through the Candi Bentar - the Split Gate - symbolising splitting and leaving all worldly things behind.
SereneXMM #06
This is the inner Courtyard inside the Gerta Gosa. It is very cute because the grass and the stone makes into a checkered pattern.
KUSAMBA BEACH


SereneXMM #07

Sorry... shoot until don't know how to shoot already. This one I also anyhow put in and very pai seh.
My share of Gerta Gosa.

limwhow #05
Same scene as SereneXMM's inner courtyard. Just that mine is Hoya R72 whilst hers is the ELP.
 
limwhow #06
Here, the very lovely young Balinese lady allowed us to quietly shoot her from the side while she prayed.
It was really our honour.
The kori agung within the inner courtyard of Gerta Gosa.
limwhow #07
The same kori agung. Just that this time I pretended to be the devout Balinese girl and walked underneath the gate.
I looked up and wow... saw the yellow umbrella...
limwhow #08
Just outside the Museum in Gerta Gosa, I came upon this very beautiful wall carving of Kala.
Kusamba beach

limwhow #09

On this second day of our trip to Bali, we found ourselves here on Kusamba Beach.
Walked a little distance away from the crowd of people and saw this abandoned jukung looking so forlorn at one corner...



limwhow #10
Just from another angle.



The Floating Pavilion of Gerta Gosa

limwhow #11

Just for the record, here is the Pavilion in IR.
The Ancient Javanese-Balinese Atmosphere

These are some of the many scenes in Bali which captured my eyes and my heart.
Bali is such a heavily Javanese-Hindu flavoured land.
Standing in any of her Temples, any of her Ancient Court, or even in any of the local Balinese's home,
I feel as though I am transformed into a Land of Old.
It is really that marvellous.

limwhow #12



limwhow #13


limwhow #14

imwhow #15
It was an extremely sunny and hot late morning as we walked stepped out of the vehicle into the grounds of Bukit Jambul.
Bukit Jambul - the Flower Terrace, is a terraced hill where the farmers planted flowers.
Actually it was an IR nightmare to shoot Bukit Jambul.
What usually appeared colourful with rows of flowers, now appeared as one whole sheet of white... keke...
Here we find something more intriguing at the entrance to Bukit Jambul.

  just can't seem to get enough of Gerta Gosa.
But here is one last parting IR shot.
A monumental gate in the midst of snowy white.

limwhow #16
 
limwhow #17
Day three. Woke up early in the morning and headed straight for this beautiful rice terrace in a place called Tegalallang.
Have seen some rice terraces. But this one, in my humble opinion, is the nicest I have seen, with its surrounding foliage.
Just a record shot to remember it by.


On the 27th Sep 2010, Richard Ng commented on the above picture.  His compliments I will forever thank and remember: "You know ah .. after looking at you 2 color IR .. I think I will not know how to post IR photos again .. cause I dun noe how to do color .. especially since Weehow and Ah Chua don't want to conduct class .. Damn I think I need to book a auditorium and collect ticket money from all attendees and pay them before the rest of us can learn any sh*t
Very nice shots .. RICE TERRACE is my favorite .. looks like Mayan Pyramid"

limwhow #18
On our way to the Water temple - Tirta Empul, we stopped by the road side to shoot some cute children.
Little did I know that I would shoot two sweet, young, lovely Ang Moh girls on a convertable.
They just zoomed past me.... wah... carefree!
Sigh... due to the rain at Tirta Empul, we had hardly any IR shots there.
Otherwise it would have been a great location for IR.
So fast forward to Day 3 evening.
We ended up at Tanah Lot just nice.
In time for sunset.
Here goes.

limwhow #19
Rendered in Tritone. And Hue and Saturation added in after Tritonisation.
 
SereneXMM #8
Same view as Limwhow one. Here i just want to show the three shooters.
have come to learn that shooting IR of paddi fields really poses a great deal of challenge to me.
This is because the expansive sheet of white that I obtain directly from the camera gives me a flat picture.
No colour, no contrast, and no depth.
Thus I often struggle to inject all these elements into the picture.
Here, I was merely pushing the limits of colouration.
A little bit out of style, it is. But I think it is always interesting to experiment...

limwhow #20

 
This is a simple little kampong-like scene in one of the small villages in Tabanan.

limwhow #21
 
I
t's day 4 already on our Bali trip.
The weather was a little erratic and it started to rain very soon after we set off to the west of Bali.
Even as we came to the seldom-visited Palasari Catholic Church, the weather was still gloomy.
Well... if it's gloomy, then we'll just let it be gloomier and freezing...

limwhow #22


[Ahem... a controversial PP here. Really pushing it to the extreme here. I am open for whacking... hahaha...]
Day 5 and we woke up to a relaxing breakfast (finally for once!) in Swastika Bungalows in Sanur.
The morning sun was bright and hot.
And after breakfast, we took a slow stroll along the main thoroughfare of Sanur to look for the small connecting lanes to the seaside.
Here is a little photo of this lane.
I am less naughty in this photo.
But still can't help not doing a Gradient Tool on the floor tiles.
Also, for the first time, I employed Surface Blur as demonstrated to me by Lx3ChuA to give a little bit more depth.
[Doesn't look exactly right as the background should be sharp too.. but heck lah... give it a go lah...]

limwhow #23

 
SereneXMM #9
 
limwhow #24
Back to basic IR trees and leaves and palms.
A view of the field walk along to the Seaside.

No comments:

Post a Comment