Thursday, October 11, 2012

A N G K O R . W A T ~ An InfraRed Series

[Click on the above title to go into the post]
A N G K O R . W A T ~ An InfraRed Series

[I first posted this series in ClubSNAP on the 11th October 2012]


It's been a while since I've posted here (ClubSNAP) in IR.
Fate is such that I found myself in Angkor Wat recently.
I will forever remember SurrealDreamWalker's Angkor IR series...
He has inspired me to bring out some IR-ness in Angkor Wat & its surrounding structures.



Here I have presented, in a haphazard fashion,
some IR shots of my gallivanting in Angkor Wat...

All the shots in this series are taken with my
Canon 20D R72 IR camera with Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye lens.
One of the best combinations, and one of my most trusty IR combinations.




I have found over the years,
that in IR, it would be nice to make the photos
as dreamy and as surreal as possible.

There are so many ways of presenting an IR shot.
And there is no right nor wrong..

There is just only HOW you see it in your mind... 





It was an extremely hot and humid morning
that found us in the grounds of the ancient Hindu Temple..
The mysterious Angkor Wat ~ The City of Temples...



In my mind, I saw the blue, the green and the pink coming out of the drab grey sand stone structure.





Just at the East Gate of Angkor Wat, where the crowd is thinner..
.. and the air is purer...
The sun rising on the East side throws my shadow long and far...



I see in my mind, a meadow of golden straw..
paving the way to the holy sanctuary of Vishnu, the Hindu God.




Where the sweet young travellers rest their tired legs...
and where the brave dare take the climb up to the highest and deepest heart
of Angkor Wat...



My mind sees a sleeping blue giant
way past its days of glory.
But still grand in its old special way.
Gently welcoming the visitors of a new world
into its arms.




The stone lion still stands guard..
over a King long gone.
Little does it know that what lies behind him..
has gone through hundreds of cycles
of tearing down and rebuilding.



My mind sees the patches of uneven hue
on the gluteus of the stony feline..
that draws my attention away from
the golden-ness of the surrounding foliage.




The Brahman priest walked past the side window..
and stole a look out..
onto the snowy white-ness of the world outside.



In my mind, I tell myself...
this world is pure.
As pure as the white of the leaves out there.
As pure is also the mind,
but only if left undisturbed by the worldliness of desires.




The sun beats down
on the sandstones and lava stones
strewn across the ground...
as the visitor lay eyes upon the wonders
of the human spirit that created
what they were.



I see rocks.
I see white.
I see black.
I see textured surfaces.
I see infrared.




The Victory gate of Angkor Thom hath certainly seen
its share of Days of Glory when it welcomed
victorious Kings returning from battle.
But today, it sits quietly welcoming none
but a Rolleiflex-touting lady in hat.
A far cry from those ancient times...



I sense no sighs of regret.
But a silent show of an archaic strength of character.
One that over-shadows the new comer.




The Guardian deity's poignant stare,
served the reign of King Jayavarman VII.
And on this fateful day, his stare serves
me, this lowly being,
in inspiration for my love of IR.



I see the piercing eyes
that look at everything,
and sees everything.
And the powerfully folded moss-laden arms
completes the whole picture
of stoicalness.




The temple of Bayon.
Where every pillar of four faces, represents a state during that dynasty.
And every face represents - water, wind, earth and fire.



Visible to my IR camera is the face
that exhibits a roaring hue of red.
The red of fire.
The red of passion.
The red of warmth.
The red of blood.
Common to all humans.
Whichever dynasty one lives in.




Rounded the corner,
and rounded another...
Corner after corner the scenes remained.
Stones after stones
haphazard in the exact fashion they laid,
centuries and centuries ago,
with only moss as their clothes.


My IR lens sees the green of moss,
and the red of earth,
and the red of agony, dripping down the walls
of the abandoned temple..
of the war-torn empire
in total chaos.




Trees after trees,
... after trees after trees after trees..
The algae-lined rocks of the temples, drooped their heads in shame.
For shackled they were by a force of Nature that's even greater than theirs could tame.



My eyes prefer to see a very dreamy surrounding
with floating leaves flippity-flap as they make their descend
from the top branchlet, along the thick arms of the roots..
to land on the roof of the incapacitated chambers.
who are still deep in their own dreams.
Dreams of eons ago.
Dreams of days of Glory.





No comments:

Post a Comment